Antique Brass Ships Compass
Antique Brass Ships Compass
Antique Brass Ships Compass
Antique Brass Ships Compass
Antique Brass Ships Compass
Antique Brass Ships Compass
Antique Brass Ships Compass
Antique Brass Ships Compass
Antique Brass Ships Compass
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Antique Brass Ships Compass
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Antique Brass Ships Compass
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Antique Brass Ships Compass
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Antique Brass Ships Compass
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Antique Brass Ships Compass
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Antique Brass Ships Compass
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Antique Brass Ships Compass
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Antique Brass Ships Compass
  • Load image into Gallery viewer, Antique Brass Ships Compass

Antique Brass Ships Compass

Regular price
£200.00
Sale price
£200.00
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
per 
Tax included.

An intriguing antique ships compass in its original carry case. Made by the Kelvin and James White Ltd. of Glasgow, Scotland. The compass is still working and the dial moves smoothly. The only damage I can find is that the sight wires have snapped. Excellent piece of Scottish / British industrial history. // Kelvin & James White Ltd was formed as a public company in 1900, to acquire the Glasgow-based scientific and navigational instrument making business originally established by James White (1824-1884), in 1850. White had long and highly productive working relationship with William Thomson (later-Sir William, then Lord Kelvin) (1824-1907), who held the chair as Professor of Natural Philosophy at Glasgow University from 1846-1899. White was involved from the commencement of his business in the supply and maintenance of apparatus for Thomson's university laboratory and worked with him on many experimental constructions. By 1854, White was commercially producing electrical instruments such as electrometers and electrical balances based on Thomson's designs. During 1870 White was largely responsible for equipping Sir William's laboratory in the new University premises at Gilmorehill and from 1876 was producing compasses specifically designed for use on metal ships by Sir William, which subsequently became an important part of the firm's business. The British Admiralty adopted the Thomson's patent compass as a standard for Royal Navy use in 1889. In 1899 Lord Kelvin resigned his university chair and joined Kelvin & James White Ltd as a director the following year. The company established a London office around 1904, and following Lord Kelvin's death became Kelvin Bottomley & Baird Ltd, in 1913. During WWII, the firm formed a joint venture with competitors Henry Hughes & Sons Ltd and in 1947 the two firms amalgamated as Kelvin Hughes Ltd.